Telecom Engineer05/18/2023 ● Akron ● Contract To Hire
To Apply for this Job Click Here
• Delivers FE’s Telecom Transition for migration of substation and field area network communications, centered around Energizing the Future (EtF), Legacy Circuit Replacements (LCR), and related projects.
• Responsible for CIP compliance within the substation, as it pertains to communications requirements.
• Delivers high-performance, high-availability communications, in a 24/7 enterprise, monitored to achieve service expectations, scalable to business needs, and that have appropriate redundancies for diverse communications.
• Participates in substation and field area network projects to ensure computing and network architecture solutions are resilient, secure, well integrated, and comply with technical strategy.
• Supports the operational performance and maintenance of existing substation and field area networks as well as design and delivery of new products/product enhancements.
• Coordinates closely with FE Cyber Security, the Security Technologies, and Real Time Operations (RTO) teams to ensure that FE policies and sound security practices are followed.
• Coordinates with and receives support from the IT Networks group for transport and fiber services that are necessary to support the substation and field area networks.
• Coordinates with Operating Companies, FEU/FET support groups, and external entities to accomplish objectives.
• Ensures technical standards and regulatory requirements are followed in assigned work.
• Maintains scope, schedule, and budget for assigned projects.
• Maintains functional knowledge of technology, technology changes, and emerging business requirements.
• Providing daily support for the Substation & Field Area Networks team that supports the many technology platforms that deliver reliable, secure, and cost-effective communications solutions to those environments.
• Ensuring high level of reliability and availability of these systems. Manages the expectations of FE business units. Responsible along with others for disaster recovery of these systems.
• Understanding and following all applicable policies & procedures to effectively manage risk to FE’s Substation & Field Area Network environments.
• Support the 24×7 on-call rotation process by functioning as primary call contact and providing engineering second level backup to help troubleshoot and repair system/hardware failures or performance degradation.
• Bachelor or Associates Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Telecommunications or related field, or 5 years of equivalent work experience in a network engineering field.
• Knowledge of the OSI reference model, network routing and switching (Cisco, Nokia, RUGGEDCOM), network management applications (e.g. HPOM/NNMi/NA, Nokia 5620 SAM, GE Orbit Radio)
• Knowledge of radio systems / RF engineering (cellular, 700/900 MHz Radio, WiMax, point-to-point, point-to-multipoint)
• Core competencies include interpersonal, communications (written & verbal), presentation, and drafting/drawing (Visio/CAD) skills.
• Preferred knowledge includes:
• Understanding of encryption technologies and protocols (VPN/IPSec).
• Regulatory compliance requirements (NERC/FERC) impacting substation and field area networks.
• Project management concepts & tools, and environmental support systems for supported technology platforms (e.g., HVAC, AC/DC power systems, batteries, generators, etc.).