SENIOR MICROSOFT APPLICATION SUPPORT SPECIALIST I
SENIOR MICROSOFT APPLICATION SUPPORT SPECIALIST I03/10/2023 ● Scottsdale, Arizona ● Direct Hire
Job Title: Sr. Microsoft Applications Support Specialist I
Location: Hybrid in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona
Definition: Under general supervision of the Application Systems Manager, this multidisciplinary position conducts business process analysis, systems modeling, application systems requirements, design, configuration, testing, implementation and support of low to high complexity systems, using the Microsoft Office suite to provide solutions for departments. This job class is treated as FLSA Exempt.
Essential Functions: Essential functions may vary among positions and may include the following tasks and other characteristics. This list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not intended to be comprehensive listing of tasks performed by all positions in this classification.
- Microsoft Office 365 Suite: Leveraging Suite to design and develop solutions utilizing the following systems:
- Excel: Use of spreadsheets, graphing, tables, calculations and automation to develop a process beneficial to department requests. Uses lookup, index match, conditional formation, pivot tables and reports, macros and VBA and data simulation to develop a solution based on customer requirement.
- Word: Use of Page Setup, creating forms using fields and advanced tools, creating and using templates, formatting documents.
- PowerPoint: Use of interactive slideshows, inserting, embedding and linking media and data, using the advanced timely and broadcasting and sharing a slideshow
- SharePoint: Utilization of collaboration and information sharing.
- Teams: Collaborate and running effective meetings as well as large events utilizing the online meeting platform.
- Business Intelligence: Utilize BI with Excel, SharePoint to expand the capability of Office tools and enhance information development and sharing.
- Application Selection and Implementation:
- Requirements Gathering: Utilizes established IT methods to conduct requirement assessments and develop application related documentation.
- Architecture, Design and Configuration: Reviews the functional, technical and software architecture of system solutions and makes recommendations based on architectures that are extensible and proven to be reliable in the industry. Develops system design and configuration specifications to meet functional requirements.
- Testing: Develops test cases along with traceability matrices to ensure that all system, technical and functional requirements have been tested.
- Implementation and Release: Develops implementation communication and production change plans to ensure smooth product delivery.
- Project to Sustaining Transition: Develops plans and procedures to transition applications from project to sustaining mode smoothly and without disruption to the application users.
- System Integration: Works with other IT Divisions to design, implement and test system integrations.
- Business Process Analysis:
- Use Case Development: Develops use cases for both existing and proposed systems to document both as-is and to-be system usage.
- Process Improvement: Conducts interviews with clients to document “pain” points and recommend process and system improvements to improve quality and efficiency.
- Application Support:
- Client Management: Maintains customer and client relationships in a professional and respectful manner.
- Vendor Management: Maintains vendor relationship in a professional manner. Conducts periodic reviews of vendor performance.
- Incident Management: Monitors production system incidents and ensures issues are resolved in accordance with established service level agreements.
- Service Request Management: Facilitates and conducts change control boards with the client to develop a partnership relationship to manage and prioritize changes to the production system. Ensures services requests are designed, developed, tested and implemented in accordance with department standards meeting the agreed upon service level agreement.
- Application Currency: Monitors and reviews supported applications to keep abreast of releases and upgrades to ensure that the production version of the supported system meets the department currency policies, procedures and controls.
- Change Management: Ensures all production changes are made in accordance with the department change control policies, procedures and controls.
- Troubleshooting and Root Cause Analysis: Decomposes and analyzes incidents to identify the root cause and implement controls to prevent or mitigate reoccurrence.
- Training: Develops user-end training plans that may require teaching user-end training courses.
- Ticket Management: Managing workload through ticketing system and ensuring successful completion and communication with peers and management.
- Works with Application Systems Manager in developing training plan and in providing feedback in development goals for Application Systems Analyst Level I and II.
- Works with IT Site Coordinators as applicable to communicate resource needs to the Application Manager. Ensures effective site operations for application systems.
- Provides senior technical leadership to IT, including the future direction of enterprise and department applications, determining how that guidance will impact the enterprise and how current and future applications can be best utilized for the benefit of the Community.
- Recommends IT Application related Best Business Practices for application support services and helps develop application support services to support the needs of the Tribal Government.
- Provide valued input into the budget and scheduling processes of supported applications to help shape and prioritize the workload of the Applications Implementation team.
- Project Management:
- Operational Project Management: Serves as the Project Manager on operational projects. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, developing and maintaining project schedules, communicating project status to executive management and overseeing and supporting project team members.
- Project Role Fulfillment: Fulfills Development, Testing, Release and User Experience roles on projects managed by the Project Management Office (PMO).
- Contract Management:
- Initiation: Understands the internal contract creation process and is able to work with internal, legal and vendor representatives to facilitate the creation of new contracts.
- Amendments: Understands the internal contract amendment process and is able to work with internal, legal and vendor representatives to facilitate the modification and additions to existing contracts.
- Software Support: Reviews and manages software support and service level agreements to ensure that systems are covered by adequate vendor support.
- Miscellaneous: Performs other job related duties as assigned by the Application Systems Manager, Assistant IT Director (Application Systems) or IT Director.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics:
- Knowledge of the history, culture, laws, customs and traditions of the COMPANY.
- Knowledge of personnel management and performance reviews.
- Knowledge and skill with IT Project Management including project requirements, design, test, cost estimates, deliverables, design review, design reports and project status reports.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Solutions Framework methodology.
- Knowledge of methodologies for evaluating current-state business workflow with best practices and procedures to create business workflow recommendations and documentation.
- Knowledge of project management including scoping, design, implementation planning and documentation.
- Knowledge of performing user needs assessment and evaluation of Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) application systems to meet user expectations.
- Business Process Analysis and documentation.
- Knowledge of Windows Server 2012 or greater.
- Knowledge of SQL Server 2012 or greater.
- Knowledge of Windows 10.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Reporting Services 2015 or greater.
- Knowledge of Microsoft SharePoint on premise and O365
- Knowledge of Microsoft TEAMS.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows PowerShell.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Skill evaluating assigned staff to determine if performance meets established standards.
- Skill teaching computer usage in one-on-one and classroom environments.
- Skill resolving application problems.
- Skill communicating effectively both verbally and in writing with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to design solutions using the advanced features within Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to accurately diagnose application related problems and take appropriate, timely and accurate corrective action.
- Ability to interact with computer users at all levels including either one-to-one or classroom environment.
- Ability to work independently and as an effective and productive team member.
- Ability to seek job knowledge through own initiative.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and use good judgment in prioritizing work assignments.
- Ability to attend or conduct various meetings as needed.
- Ability to keep current on new technology and expose customers and fellow team members to new tools and technologies.
- Education: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Information Systems, Management Information Systems, Computer Science, Software Engineering or related discipline.
- Experience: Seven (7) years’ experience providing technical leadership in the third-party off the shelf software selection, implementation and support.
- Seven (7) years demonstrated expertise performing the following tasks:
- Application Selection and Implementation
- Application Support
- Business Process Analysis
- Data Conversion
- Microsoft Office Solution
- Five (5) years demonstrated expertise performing the following tasks:
- Project Management
- Contract Management
- Report Writing
- Microsoft 365 Certifications one or more is preferred
- Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate
- Microsoft 365: Certified Teams Administrator
- Microsoft 365: Identity and Access Administrator Associate
- Equivalency: Any equivalent combination of education and experience that will allow the applicant to satisfactorily perform the duties of the job may be considered.