APPLICATION SYSTEMS ANALYST II
APPLICATION SYSTEMS ANALYST II03/10/2023 ● Scottsdale, Arizona ● Direct Hire
Job Title: Application Systems Analyst II
Location: Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona
Definition: Under general supervision of the Application Systems Manager, conducts business process analysis, systems modeling, application systems requirements, design, configuration, testing, implementation and support of low to medium complexity, low to medium risk, Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) application systems. This job class is treated as FLSA Exempt.
Essential Functions: Essential functions may vary among positions and may include the following tasks and other characteristics. This list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of tasks performed by all positions in this classification.
- Application Selection and Implementation:
- Requirements Gathering: Utilizes established IT methods to conduct requirement assessments and develop application related documentation.
- Architecture, Design and Configuration: Reviews the functional, technical, and software architecture of system solutions and makes recommendations based on architectures that are extensible and proven to be reliable in the industry. Develops system design and configuration specifications to meet functional requirements.
- Product Research: Conducts product analysis, cost-benefit analysis and product selection to ensure application purchases meet the long-range needs of the Community. Ensures selected applications are compatible with the COMPANY computing environment and that applications meet user requirements.
- Data Conversion: Develops data conversion process and procedures in compliance with department data conversion controls.
- Testing: Develops test cases along with traceability matrices to ensure that all system, technical and functional requirements have been tested.
- Implementation and Release: Develops implementation communication and production change plans to ensure smooth product delivery.
- Project to Sustaining Transition: Develops plans, procedures, and documentation to transition applications from project to sustaining mode smoothly and without disruption to the application users.
- Business Process Analysis:
- Use Case Development: Develops use cases for both existing and proposed systems to document both “as-is” and “to-be” system usage.
- Application Support:
- Client Management: Maintains customer and client relationships in a professional and respectful manner.
- Vendor Management: Maintains vendor relationships in a professional manner. Conducts quarterly reviews of vendor performance.
- Incident Management: Monitors production system incidents and ensures issues are resolved in accordance with established service level agreements.
- Service Request Management: Ensures service requests are designed, developed, tested and implemented in accordance with department standards meeting the agreed upon service level agreement.
- Application Currency: Monitors and reviews supported applications to keep abreast of releases and upgrades to ensure that the production version of the supported system meets the department currency policies, procedures and controls.
- Change Management: Ensures all production changes are made in accordance with the department change control policies, procedures and controls.
- Troubleshooting and Root Cause Analysis: Decomposes and analyzes incidents to identify the root cause and implement controls to prevent or mitigate reoccurrence.
- Training: Plans and manages end-user training for Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) application systems. Develops end-user training plans that may require vendor contracts or teaching end-user training courses.
- Security: Support Cybersecurity penetration testing in remediation of findings and yearly application account audit process.
- Peer Reviews: Conducts peer reviews of other Application Analysts work products to ensure quality and completeness.
- Provides guidance and constructive feedback to the Application Systems Analyst Level I so they attain the technical and customer service skills along with experience necessary to perform independently and further develop knowledge and skills in their domain.
- Project Management:
- Operational Project Management: Serves as the Project Manager on operational projects. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, developing and maintaining project schedules, and supporting project team members. Coordinating tasks and resolving issues encountered with various technical divisions.
- Project Role Fulfillment: Fulfills Design/Configuration, Testing, Release, and User Education roles on projects managed by the Project Management Office (PMO).
- Contract Management:
- Software Support: Reviews and manages software support to ensure that systems are covered by adequate vendor support.
- Miscellaneous: Performs other job related duties as assigned by the Application Systems Manager, Assistant IT Director (Application Systems) or IT Director.
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills and Other Characteristics:
- Knowledge of the history, culture, laws, customs and traditions of the COMPANY.
- Knowledge of various project management and software methodologies
- Knowledge of methodologies for evaluating current-state business workflow with best practices and procedures to create business workflow recommendations and documentation.
- Knowledge of project management including scoping, design, implementation planning and documentation.
- Knowledge of performing user needs assessment and evaluation of Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) application systems to meet user expectations.
- Knowledge of Windows Server 2012 or greater.
- Knowledge of SQL Server 2012 or greater.
- Knowledge of Windows 10.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Reporting Services 2015 or greater.
- Knowledge of Microsoft SharePoint.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows PowerShell.
- Skill teaching computer usage in one-on-one and classroom environments.
- Skill resolving application problems.
- Skill communicating effectively both verbally and in writing with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to accurately diagnose application related problems and take appropriate, timely and accurate corrective action.
- Ability to interact with computer users at all levels including either one-to-one or classroom environment.
- Ability to work independently and as an effective and productive team member.
- Ability to seek job knowledge through own initiative.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and use good judgment in prioritizing work assignments.
- Ability to attend or conduct various meetings as needed.
- Ability to keep current on new technology and expose customers and fellow team members to new tools and technologies.
- Education: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Information Systems, Management Information Systems, Computer Science, Software Engineering or related discipline.
- Experience: Five (5) years’ experience providing technical leadership in the third party off the shelf software selection, implementation and support.
- Five (5) years demonstrated expertise performing the following tasks:
- Application Selection and Implementation
- Application Support
- Three (3) years of demonstrated expertise performing the following tasks:
- Project Management
- Business Process Analysis
- Data Conversion
- Report Writing
- Equivalency: Any equivalent combination of education and experience that will allow the applicant to satisfactorily perform the duties of the job may be considered