Sr. Application Specialist
Sr. Application Specialist03/09/2023 ● Scottsdale, Arizona ● Direct Hire
Location: Phoenix, AZ – Hybrid
Definition: Under general supervision of the Application Systems Manager, conducts business process analysis, systems modeling, application systems requirements, design, configuration, testing, implementation and support of medium to high complexity, medium to high risk, Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) application systems and Software As a Service (SAAS) solutions. This job class is treated as FLSA Exempt.
Essential Functions: Essential functions may vary among positions and may include the following tasks and other characteristics. This list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not intended to be comprehensive listing of tasks performed by all positions in this classification.
This single position/role will be responsible for the following multiple distinct roles/responsibilities – these roles/responsibilities are recommended by ServiceNow whenever ServiceNow is deployed in a larger enterprise client:
- Platform Owner
- Project Manager/Scrum,
- OCM lead
- Business Analyst
- Platform Admin
- Platform Architect
>> Application Selection and Implementation:
- Requirements Gathering: Utilizes established IT methods to conduct requirement assessments and develop application related documentation. Review, analyze and evaluate user needs to create innovative and sustainable system solutions that support overall departmental and Community goals and objectives.
- Architecture, Design and Configuration: Reviews the functional, technical and software architecture of system solutions and makes recommendations based on architectures that are extensible and proven to be reliable in the industry. Develops system design and configuration specifications to meet functional requirements.
- Product Research: Conducts product analysis, cost-benefit analysis and product selection to ensure application purchases meet the long-range needs of the Community. Ensures selected applications are compatible with the company computing environment and that applications meet user requirements. Develop creative solutions to department process needs that can be solved effectively through software/workflow configuration.
- Data Conversion: Develops data conversion process and procedures in compliance with department data conversion controls.
- Testing: Develops test cases along with traceability matrices to ensure that all system, technical and functional requirements have been tested.
- Implementation and Release: Develops implementation communication and production change plans to ensure smooth product delivery.
- Project to Sustaining Transition: Develops plans and procedures to transition applications from project to sustaining mode smoothly and without disruption to the application users.
- System Integration: Works with other IT Divisions to design, implement and test system integrations.
- Provides senior technical leadership to IT, including the future direction of enterprise systems, determining how that guidance will influence the enterprise and how current and future systems can be best utilized for the benefit of the Community.
- Recommends Enterprise Application (ServiceNow) related Best Business Practices for solutions/product support services and helps in developing services to support the Tribal Government’s needs.
- Provide valued input into the budget and scheduling processes to help shape and prioritize the workload of the IT Application Specialist Division.
- Provides senior technical leadership to the IT Application Specialists Division and works closely with other IT Divisions to plan and facilitate activities requiring purchased (third-party) application projects.
>> Business Process Analysis:
- Use Case Development: Develops use cases for both existing and proposed systems to document both as-is and to-be system usage.
- Process Improvement: Conducts interviews with clients to document “pain” points and recommend process and system improvements to improve quality and efficiency. Work with subject matter experts through the creation of current and future state business process models that identify process improvement opportunities through facilitates requirements gathering sessions.
>> Application Support:
- Client Management: Maintains customer and client relationships in a professional and respectful manner.
- Vendor Management: From selection to maintenance of vendor relationship in a professional manner. Participates in requests for quotation and request for information. Managing vendors includes conducting periodic reviews of vendor performance and negotiating better rates and cost savings.
- Incident Management: Monitors production system incidents and ensures issues are resolved in accordance with established service level agreements.
- Service Request Management: Facilitates and conducts change control boards with the client to develop a partnership relationship to manage and prioritize changes to the production system. Ensures services requests are designed, developed, tested and implemented in accordance with department standards meeting the agreed upon service level agreement.
- Application Currency: Monitors and reviews supported applications to keep abreast of releases and upgrades to ensure that the production version of the supported system meets the department currency policies, procedures and controls.
- Change Management: Ensures all production changes are made in accordance with the department change control policies, procedures and controls.
- Troubleshooting and Root Cause Analysis: Quickly and accurately problem-solve, troubleshoot, resolve and document computer and end-user software problems; work with users, vendors and IT staff to assess and document issues with applications-including integration issues between various software and/or applications, processes or controls. Decomposes and analyzes incidents to identify the root cause and implement controls to prevent or mitigate reoccurrence.
- Training: Plans and manages user-end training for Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) application systems. Develops user-end training plans that may require vendor contracts or teaching user-end training courses.
- Security: Compliance in security protocols defined, such as penetration test remediation, disaster recovery testing and yearly application account audit process.
- Peer Reviews: Conducts peer reviews of other Application Analysts work products to ensure quality and completeness.
- Provides guidance and constructive feedback to the Application Systems Analyst Level I and II staff so they attain the technical and customer service skills along with experience necessary to perform independently and further develop knowledge and skills in their domain.
- Prioritizes and coordinates staff workflow and provides training and assistance of assigned Application Systems Analyst Level I and II staff.
- Assist with ticket queue management and distributes tickets to assigned staff as appropriate.
- Conducts peer reviews of Application Systems Analyst Level I and II work products to ensure quality and completeness.
- Works with Application Systems Manager in developing training plan and in providing feedback in development goals for Application Systems Analyst Level I and II.
- Prepares input to be given on Annual Performance Reviews for assigned staff that are reviewed and approved by the Manager.
- Works with IT Site Coordinators as applicable to communicate resource needs to the Application Manager. Ensures effective site operations for application systems.
>> Project Management:
- Operational Project Management: Serves as the Project Manager on operational projects. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, developing and maintaining project schedules, communicating project status to executive management (technical and functional) and overseeing and supporting project team members.
- Project Role Fulfillment: Fulfills Design/Configuration Testing, Release and User Education roles on projects managed by the Project Management Office (PMO).
>> Contract Management:
- Initiation: Understands the internal contract creation process and is able to work with internal, legal and vendor representatives to facilitate the creation of new contracts.
- Amendments: Understands the internal contract amendment process and is able to work with internal, legal and vendor representatives to facilitate the modification and additions to existing contracts.
- Software Support: Reviews and manages software support and service level agreements to ensure that systems are covered by adequate vendor support.
>> Miscellaneous: Performs other job-related duties as assigned by the Application Systems Manager, Assistant IT Director (Application Systems) or IT Director.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics:
- Knowledge of the history, culture, laws, customs and traditions of the Company.
- Knowledge of personnel management and performance reviews.
- Knowledge and skill with IT Project Management including project requirements, design, test, cost estimates, deliverables, design review, design reports and project status reports.
- Knowledge of Project Management methodology.
- Knowledge of methodologies for evaluating current-state business workflow with best practices and procedures to create business workflow recommendations and documentation.
- Knowledge of project management including scoping, design, implementation planning and documentation.
- Knowledge of performing user needs assessment and evaluation of Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) application systems to meet user expectations.
- Knowledge of database design principles
- Knowledge of latest version of Microsoft Windows Server.
- Knowledge of latest version of Microsoft SQL Server.
- Knowledge of Windows 10.
- Knowledge of latest version of Microsoft Reporting Services.
- Knowledge of latest version of Microsoft SharePoint.
- Knowledge of latest version of Microsoft Windows PowerShell.
- Skill evaluating assigned staff to determine if performance meets established standards.
- Skill teaching computer usage in one-on-one and classroom environments.
- Skill resolving application problems.
- Skill communicating effectively both verbally and in writing with all levels of the organization.
- Skill in analyzing information and evaluating alternatives.
- Skill in developing, prioritizing, organizing and accomplishing specific goals and plans.
- Skill in using a structure query language.
- Ability to accurately diagnose application related problems and take appropriate, timely and accurate corrective action.
- Ability to interact with computer users at all levels including either one-to-one or classroom environment.
- Ability to work independently and as an effective and productive team member.
- Ability to seek job knowledge through own initiative.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and use good judgment in prioritizing work assignments.
- Ability to attend or conduct various meetings as needed.
- Ability to keep current on new technology and expose customers and fellow team members to new tools and technologies.
- Ability to meet deadlines and effectively communicate the status of assignments.
- Education: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Information Systems, Management Information Systems, Computer Science, Software Engineering or related discipline.
- Experience: Seven (7) years’ experience providing technical leadership in the third-party off the shelf software selection, implementation and support.
- Seven (7) years demonstrated expertise performing the following tasks:
- Application Selection and Implementation
- Application Support
- Business Process Analysis
- Data Conversion
- Five (5) years demonstrated expertise performing the following tasks:
- Project Management
- Contract Management
- Report Writing
Equivalency: Any equivalent combination of education and experience that will allow the applicant to satisfactorily perform the duties of the job may be considered.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Arizona Driver’s License
- May be required to work beyond normal work hours including nights, weekends and holidays.
- May be required to receive and maintain a Company, Community Regulatory License and State Certification (ADOG).
- Employees in, and applicants applying for, jobs providing direct services to children are subject to the “Community Code of Ordinances”, Chapter 11, “Minors”, Article X. “Investigation of Persons Working With Children” and completion of a background check every five (5) years.
Prior to hire as an employee, applicants will be subject to drug and alcohol testing. Will be required to pass a pre-employment background/fingerprint check.